Our Blog has a LARGE GLOWING SIGN. Does yours? So there. BOOMERS !

Sunday, April 26, 2009

NETWORKING IN ACTION - ELAINE INGIS

Elaine Ingis is an important contributor to THE NATIONAL NETWORKER (TNNW). Her regular Featured Monthly Column is titled: THE BOOM IN BOOMER NETWORKING.


NETWORKING IN ACTION
-Elaine Ingis

It’s driving me crazy but all I can think of is Susan Boyle and that song, “I had a dream . . . .” It amazes me when I think of how many people she must have spoken to, how many turns she must have taken, how many detours she must have been redirected towards to finally achieve the unachievable – She was a contestant on the British version of American Idol. It boils down to the most basic – Susan wanted something so badly, she networked, networked, networked regardless of the obvious working against her. We’ve probably all seen the video so it’s not important what the obstacles were. What is so flabbergasting is that this seemingly naïve, unsophisticated, shy woman, was so brilliant at networking and selling herself to whoever listened - she succeeded!

Networking is a natural action. We do it everyday – we talk to people, collect advice from people, we remember people and we file away the information until one day, it comes to us in an epiphany that you actually have an arsenal – a small army – working in your corner.

I too had a dream. No, not the song, but an actual dream. I wanted to build a much needed baby boomer community. I visualized, I planned, and yes, I even sweet-talked if I thought I could get someone’s attention. I was so proud of my executive summary which I passed out to whoever would allow me to buy them a Starbucks. Everyone was very kind and supportive (why not, I was feeding them) and kept throwing out new ideas, some of which I actually incorporated and directed me to other people to talk to. I wrote another executive summary – talked to more people, incorporated more new ideas, wrote another summary, talked to yet other people and so on and so on until I had something that made my initial vision just a blur of what it is today. Now What?

I now understood what I didn’t understand, I was confident; I knew what I didn’t know which was enormous but I was meeting people and slowly moving forward. Back to networking – back to the beginning –on to Douglas Castle. I connected with Douglas, on the internet around 3 years ago. Perhaps spoke to him 3 or 4 times during that period but never met mano to mano. But I was in my networking mode, third time going through my contact information and I was on the “Cs”. So, I figured – why not? We connected and I gave him my now infamous executive summary and . . . . . just check out my blog at http://srmeetup.blogspot.com/ to see how it’s all coming together. If this is not a perfect demonstration of networking in motion, what is?

Douglas exemplifies the meaning of networking, of working towards a common goal, of mentoring and trusting (not to mention patience, patience and then a bit more patience) He has connected me with so many new contacts I am humbled and grateful. I think he secretly wants to be SrMeetUp’s mascot.

I’m thrilled that I’m making this happen at the ripe young age of - - - - well, let’s just say I am a member of the 60+ Baby Boomer Community. I still network and am so excited by the enthusiasm and support for my Baby Boomer 60+ Community. SrMeetUp.com will be launched shortly – in the meantime I hope you enjoy our blog as much as we enjoyed putting it together. Check it out and let me know – How Do You Think We’re Doing?
______________________________________________________________________
Byline:

Featured Author Elaine Ingis is the Founder and Chief Executive of SrMeetUp™, a social and business networking membership organization specializing in the growing segment of the population comprised of “Baby Boomers” aged 60 and over. She can be reached by email at
esingis@yahoo.com.

Visit her blog-in-process at
http://srmeetup.blogspot.com/, and visit her website, which is currently under construction at http://www.srmeetup.com/.

Douglas Castle has no comment, except that they try to tell him he’s too young…

________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us boomers a place to meet on the internet. I also value the "in person" events you are planning because I am from "that generation" who does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine - Thanks so much for your response We have great things planned for the "in person" events - lots of energy and fun. I know that when you join us you'll feel as if you are coming home. Look forward to greeting you in person. In the meantime, the sun is shining, kids are out of the house - ahhhhh enjoy this wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: When you either review comments or post new comments of your own, a little message might come up at the top of the Comment Section Window saying "Close This Window"...Don't use it!
Instead, read and/or post your comments, submit them, and *HIT THE "BACK" ARROW* in the upper left-hand corner of your computer to get right back to the blog hassle-free. Sometimes, if GOOGLE gets feisty, this may take several clicks on the "Back" arrow...but it always works. We appreciate your comments, and permit profanity.

--Stanley Kowalski, Operations Manager
SrMeetUP!

*Add This Site To Your FAVORITES.

SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...
SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...
SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...
SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...