Our Blog has a LARGE GLOWING SIGN. Does yours? So there. BOOMERS !

Thursday, October 22, 2009

A STIMULUS PACKAGE YOU CAN CALL YOUR OWN


Create Your Own Stimulus Package



These past 14 months have been an extremely tough period for most of us. As an executive recruiter in the pharmaceutical industry for the past 23 years, I have experienced some short stinted blips of recession effects on hiring. But this time around I feel like I have been sucked through a black hole and landed on a parallel universe where recruiters don’t exist. When my clients had hiring needs, they did what ever they could to avoid paying fees. Willy Loman was beginning to seem like a success to me.


Although it has taken some time for me to realize change is necessary, I have way too many bills, too many kids, and too much pride to wallow in despair. I can’t wait for a stimulus package; I need to be the lightening rod. Hence the reason, I decided to change up.


In the book “Who Moved The Cheese”, if you don’t keep exploring new paths for success, you will never realize your goals. As a metaphor for personal and professional growth, if you stay put your cheese will run out or get moldy. I still haven’t found my cheese but I am finding some morsels that are keeping me going. To complement my experience in recruiting, I became certified as a Coach Practitioner and have started to focus on working with college students and professionals on career transition strategies. Earlier in the year I did some work with a start up for a biotech related Internet TV site. Most recently I decided to join Elaine and help her develop this exciting website, Srmeetup.com. All still doesn't keep me from auditioning for “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” (I failed the test). Oh, I also played mega millions- won $2 last week - You Just never Know. . .


Although I am a baby in the Baby Boomer club, it’s never too late to evolve and change.
Whether you are 48 or 68, sitting idle won’t get you anywhere. In my recruiting business, it’s imperative that you dial the phone (is dial the correct word these days?) in order to reach potential candidates or clients. Without action you won’t get results. Ok, I didn’t get on the game show or win the lottery, but I have engaged myself in other activities to complement my core business. I believe it will pay off. I have seen an up tick in business in the past month, I am hopeful it will continue to grow as the year goes on. I have been way too successful over the past 20 plus years to let one bad year define me.


Over the next several months, I hope to blog about topics that are impactful for the membership of this site. If there are topics you would like me to cover please email me. I also would be happy to answer questions on career strategy, transition or goals.


Although my specialty area is career advice and recruiting focused, I do have some expertise in parenting (4 kids ranging from 23 to 8), cooking (used to be in the restaurant business and my wife doesn’t enjoy it), dogs (I have a puggle that is cute and refuses to listen) and most sports (I play and watch).


Jon Mufson is the owner of Mufson Associates, a boutique executive search firm based in Closter NJ, specializing in the pharmaceutical industry. For the past 23 years, Jon has focused in pharmaceutical marketing and communications, strategically guiding and placing executives nationally. Jon is also a Certified Coach Practitioner, focusing on career transition strategies for college students and professionals. Jon serves as a board member for New Jersey Staffing Association. Jon graduated with a BS in Broadcasting and Film from Boston University never getting a chance to release his film, Fred Flintstone playing Vince Van Gogh in chess. A father of four, married, puggle owner, Jon enjoys escaping to the Jersey Shore for sun worshipping and libations.
Please feel free to contact Jon at 201-297-7557 or at jon@mufson.com
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonmufson

####

Jon is amazing! He brings experience, insight and coaching skills to our community. It's like having our own educational/recruitment guru straight from the "front lines". Although we are not nearly at war, it may feel that way for some of us - tough times. Jon is here to help redirect , retool, retrain and reenforce our existing skills. Whether you've been down-sized, forced to come out of retirement because of a dwindling portfolio or simply want to stay active, Jon can help! And the best part is that Jon Takes Questions!! Anything specific just email Jon and remember, we can't solve all you concerns but we can figure it out together as part of the SrMeetUp! community.

In Friendship

Elaine





No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTE: When you either review comments or post new comments of your own, a little message might come up at the top of the Comment Section Window saying "Close This Window"...Don't use it!
Instead, read and/or post your comments, submit them, and *HIT THE "BACK" ARROW* in the upper left-hand corner of your computer to get right back to the blog hassle-free. Sometimes, if GOOGLE gets feisty, this may take several clicks on the "Back" arrow...but it always works. We appreciate your comments, and permit profanity.

--Stanley Kowalski, Operations Manager
SrMeetUP!

*Add This Site To Your FAVORITES.

SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...
SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...
SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...
SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP... SRMEETUP...